Tuesday, April 11, 2017

I is for interest

"Mama, I'm going to perform for you. Can you record my performance?" asked Xena.

I was only too thrilled to do so.

I've had a deep interest in music since I was a tiny tot. And though I'm not the one to thopo my interests on my kid, I've always secretly wanted Xena to get into music. When I was in university, I was part of a band called Shrutilaya. I had no musical training, and hence no knowledge of shruti or laya, and I struggled with the pitch in some of the songs, but my band mates were kind enough to only give me songs that I could manage. I can safely say that performing on stage was one of the best experiences of my university life.

At times, I find myself wishing that I'd had the opportunity to learn music properly, but a part of me feels that formal musical education would probably have killed my love for music. And that's the reason why I refuse to take it up even now, when I can.

I have been singing to Xena from the time she was an embryo, so she's been exposed to a LOT of music from even before her birth. Even when she was in the NICU as a newborn premmie, I would sing to her, much to the amusement of the nurses.

Over the last few years, we have sung a lot of songs together. Old-timers on this blog might remember our rendition of Piyu Bole and Kajra muhabbat wala. But lately, she's been singing stuff by herself. There was once a time when she'd sing "only if Mama also sings" but these days, if she's singing something and I join her, she actually asks me to stop! "Mama, you don't sing. I will sing."

I've asked her if she wants to take up formal music lessons. She's always said no, and I've not pushed her into it. The last thing I want is for her to learn music but lose the appreciation she has for music and the enjoyment she gets from it.

So whether she ends up learning music formally or not, I'm so so glad that she loves it as much as I do. Here is her performance that she asked me to record a few days ago. (This is the Coke Studio Pakistan version of Afreen Afreen, or like she refers to it, "Rahat Uncle's and Momina Aunty's song".)






8 comments:

Reef by any other name said...

Sooo cute. I agree completely to this bit" The last thing I want is for her to learn music but lose the appreciation she has for music and the enjoyment she gets from it. "

Charan Deep Singh said...

Too cute. And one of my favorite songs.

Arun said...

There should be a statutory warning, like, "Caution: This Video may overload your cuteness receptors".

:)

Anonymous said...

So cute!

Charan Deep Singh said...

http://charandeepsblog.blogspot.in/2017/04/i-instant.html

I : Instant. About those moments in time that define your relationships

Sayesha said...

Reef,
Thank you. :)

Charan Deep,
Do you remember the original video with Lisa Ray? :D

Arun,
LOL! :D

chengiz,
Thank you. :)

Charan Deep,
Good going, dude!

Charan Deep Singh said...

@Sayesha - Ofcourse I remember. It made men out of us boys (I think I was in 8th or 9th standard)

Sayesha said...

Charan,
LOL! :D