Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Drawing the line

There are five reasons why playing pictionary with Viv is so entertaining.

1. He believes there is no time limit in pictionary. He thinks he can draw until the end of the world but it's okay as long as you can guess what he drew.

2. His drawing skills are... errr... uhhh... ummm... you know.

3. If I don't get what he's drawing, he'll start drawing something else, and he'll spend a LOT of time drawing it. And just when I guess that and go 'Yippee!' he will indicate that what I've got is only a clue that is gonna lead to another clue (which is a new thing he will draw) and THAT will then lead to the actual word I'm supposed to guess. Sheesh. :/

4. He uses lateral thinking skills in pictionary, especially in situations where you don't have to.

5. Some of his drawings are virtually undecipherable by anyone but me! :D

So yesterday ooparwala was meherban and he (Viv, not ooparwala) got home at an hour decent enough for us to have a game of pictionary after dinner. The theme was 'Personalities'.

First he drew this stick figure wearing an oversized nappy but before I could squeal and say "Baby Aish!" he'd drawn a bow tie.

"A guy with a large nappy and bow tie... hmmm..."

Seeing my dilemma, he drew a cape around the guy.

"It's a superhero?"

He nodded vigorously.

"Spiderman...? Batman...? Superman...?"

He nodded a "Yes" at 'Superman' and then indicated a 'No'. Sheesh! Did I mention he does that a lot?

"So it is Superman but it is not Superman?" I asked.

So he drew a guy next to Nappy-man and a sun above his head. Then he started drawing straight lines on the second guy's head, who also happened to have the longest stick figure neck ever.

"Fido Dido??" I asked.

He drew more straight lines. The lines seemed to be getting closer and closer to the sun.

"His hair is evaporating???"

He shook his head and started drawing more lines on the guy's head. V-shapes actually.

"Okay this guy has weird hair, or he really is evaporating..."

Viv made an impatient noise.

"Is that the sun or is that krypton or something? Krypton making Superman evaporate! Hahaha!"

Viv glared at me and proceeded to draw a circle with lines on it.

"Is that the earth?" I asked.

He shook his head and drew the same thing again. This time he partly shaded it.

"Yeh kya ho raha hai... hey bhagwan... is this the earth or not??"

He shook his head and drew an eye taking an aerial view of a third stick figure. Then he drew another circle and partly shaded it too.

"Errr... top view of head... partly shaded.... hmmm... is this supposed to be a bald guy or something?"

He nodded and sat back grinning like a child who has finished his homework before everyone else in the class itself.

"What the... ok let me put this together. Bald guy related to Superman? Is it Lex Luthor?"

He was smiling.

"Lex Luthor is correct???"

"Yes."

"Hey, wait a minute. So what the hell was the evaporating hair for??" I demanded.


"That was sunlight reflecting off his bald head." He smiled.

"What?? Sunlight reflecting off his bald head? So where were the arrows to show the reflection?"

No answer.

Ok fine. My turn.

So this is what I drew.
























"It's a beauty queen... Miss India?"


I nodded.

"And that's a cricketer. From India?"

I shook my head. There was a reason I'd drawn him outside the map.

Then I drew two strips on each of their heads (it's a code to indicate the word 'name').

"Their names?"

I nodded.

"They have the same name?"

I nodded.

"They have the same name????"

Duh. Yeah-ha!

"WHAT?"

I rolled my eyes and glared at him.

"There's a male cricketer called Aishwarya???" He asked.

"Hahahaha! No, but there's one who is close, he's called Jayasuriya!" I guffawed at my own bad joke.

"Sushmita?" He tried.

"What's wrong with you, Viv? A male cricketer called 'Sushmita'? Think, man think!"

So I figured there are way too many Miss Indias and I'd have to give him another clue. So I drew this.

"She became Miss World? Oh I know I know! Hayden! Diana Hayden! Matthew Hayden!"

He sat back, grinning.

"I said same name, not same surname yaar!"
So I shook my head and drew an oval around the circle.

"Miss Universe?"

I nodded.

So he thought and thought and thought and finally said it.

"I know. It's Lara Dutta."

I nodded. Then he protested.

"But Lara is her first name, and his last name. So technically they don't have the same 'name', right?"

Gulp.

"Ermmm... Dude, it's your turn to draw." I quickly changed the subject.

So he drew this. It looked like a guy in a body cast who had been shot out of a melted cannon. Next to him was a guy who had covered his eyes with his hand, possibly because he could not bear to see the gruesome nature of the things he was witnessing. The Indian flag gloomily observed the proceedings.











"Viv, is that by any chance supposed to be India?" I pointed at the melted cannon.


He nodded.

"Ohh... some Indian politician... head of state... Jawaharlal Nehru?"

He shook his head.

"Is it an Indian Prime Minister or a President?"

He nodded.

"Someone from Gujarat?" I was looking at the big blue circle on the "India map".

He shook his head.

"Are you sure this is not Jawaharwlal Nehru?"

Glare.

"But he looks like Jawaharlal Nehru!" I insisted.

Another glare.

Actually if it looked like Jawaharlal Nehru, it had to be anyone but him. After all, Viv had drawn him. :P

So I started rattling off the names of all the Indian Prime Ministers and Presidents that I could think of. Finally I stopped at Gyani Zail Singh and then said, "I'm out. Draw something else."

So he drew this at the bottom.



















"It's a teacher scolding a boy who's whistling in class?"


Nope.

"Oh wait, that guy is playing a piano?"

Nod.

"That's a piano? Hahahaha!"

Glare.

"Ok ok. This is an orchestra?"

Nod.

"So the guy with the stick is a conductor?"

Nod.

"Zubin Mehta?"

Viv made a face and I knew exactly what it meant.

"Oh, it's not exactly a conductor? A music director?"

Nod.

"A music director from South India?"

Nod.

"Illayaraja?"

He shook his head.

"Rahman?"

He shook his head.

So did I. With impatience.

So he drew this at the bottom of the page. It was a stick figure flying through the air in a projectile motion. What was with Viv and stick figures flying through the air like cannonballs?























The stick figure seemed kinda drunk and I seemed to be so too, since I could not stop laughing. He wrote the numbers '0' and '42'. I wanted to tell him numbers weren't allowed, but it was too entertaining, so I let him continue.


"This guy is a marathon runner?"

He nodded.

Where the hell is this going, I wondered. I did not know the name of a single famous marathon runner. Less so that of a marathon runner who went on to become the President of India. Or the other way round.

Then he drew another stick figure with a sad face.

"Sad guy?"

He nodded.

"I know I know. This guy could not finish the marathon so he is sad." I declared victoriously.

He shook his head vigorously.

"Oh, so he did finish the marathon?"

Nod.

"He finished but he's tired?"

Vigorous nodding.

"He's exhausted?"

More vigorous nodding, followed by a drawing of a face with an arrow coming out of his nose.

"He's blowing his nose? Yuck!"

Impatient shaking of the head, followed by vigorous pointing at all the guys involved in this weird marathon saga.

"Oh... he's breathing out."

Nodding, followed by maniacal pointing at the arrow.

"He's breathless?"

Big grin on Viv's face.

"Breathless... Shankar Mahadevan! Oh he's the music director you were trying to show! Phew I got it! Finally!"

Grin gets bigger.

"Hey... wait! Wasn't there supposed to be a President or something?"

Nod.

"Oh man... Nooo.... Surely you don't mean it's Shankar Dayal Sharma?"

Biggest grin.




59 comments:

Sandip Chaudhuri said...

:))
LOL
ROFLMAO

You are Evil.

But that makes my day already.

Sandip Chaudhuri said...

GOLD :D

Harsha said...

AWESOME POST!!!!!!
MIND BLOWING.....
Super duper post...One of ur best :)

ROFL here =))

Viv-ji ko mera charan-sparsh :)

Suryansh said...

One of the funniest post i have read on blogosphere recently

Jina said...

oh my god!!!..it was sooooo amusing...
u can almost use it as a quick step all know guide to pictionary...teaches even dumb people like me...

p.s. u know one thing i like about u...even if the number of comments is double century, u replies to each and every one of them..:)

Unknown said...

absolutely hilarious

Deepali said...

ROTFL :D . One of the funniest post.
Well, kudos to u. Finally, U guessed both of them right.
Let me try out this game at home.

Man! I am still laughing..

Divs said...

I have been a silent reader for a long time but this one is just too hilarious! Damn good!

Bivas said...

dats not vivacious...its outrageous!!! ;-) :D

Prya said...

Man, that was totally entertaining... ROTFL!!!
I was imagining the conversation in my head and I almost fell off my chair.. My colleagues must be wondering whats so amusing.. :D

//"A guy with a nappy and bow tie..."
heehee... too much..
Please forgive me.. I cant stop laughing..

Amit said...

MADNESS...!

who? said...

LOL - This is one of the funniest posts I've read in a long time. The SD Sharma one was absolutely priceles! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Nappy Man?? LOL! Viv ka lateral thinking da jawab nahin - Kapil Paaji style!! :D

jane

satish said...

moja aa gaya yaar!

:D

Thisisme said...

OMG!! sash..i must say..u really r a genius to b deciphering the final answers! agar mein hoti toh..pehle guess mein hi hatiyaar daal deti ! waise seems to b a fun game..will try it out with my roomies :D:D:D
btw..abs great post! :)) also even i was thinking as to what the drawing is abt..while readin abt it side by side :D!

Garam Bheja Fry said...

oye!! mainu bhi khelna hai \o"/ uwaaa!! :(

Super phunny poshht!!! shaadi ke season me bar bahut sahee chal raha hai sayesha bhai!! :)

Navya said...

Absolutely hilarious. This made my day. Am still laughing out loud in my office cubicle. lol.

t said...

OHMYGAWDTHISISAHUGEPOST!!!! HUUGE! But I made it to the end and, laughed! Pictionary is such a fun game, aint it? :) And if this is how your partner plays it, its all the more fun! Enjoy!

Unknown said...

ROFLLLLLLLLLLLL! This was awesome! I suck at pictionary totalli else wud have loved to play with Viv :D
Oh wait! I'll make sure i'm good enuff till you next visit here. We'll all play together :D
Tell Viv, HE ROCKSSS! :D

shub said...

:D I wanna play too!
the forehead thing for name comes from dumbcharades doesn't it? :D

Sakshi said...

Hehehee.. Liked it.
I should send you some of my gems - they look like scribbles with emphasis lines/dots made to make the person guessing focus :/

starbreez said...

Man, reminds me how crazy it was to play charades against the two of you! :p

Iday said...

I started reading the post in my office and was caught in a strange situation where i was laughing but at the same time trying not to catch the attention of others.

I ended up making weird sounds which eventually caught the attention of all the others - and they started looking at me as though i had suddenly became superman and shankar dayal sharma at the same time :O

I'm gonna sue u bhai!!! For getting me "such" attention...

Neihal said...

hahahahahahahaha

Awesome.

Sayesha said...

#Sandew,
Hehehe... evil is me! :P :P :P

#Harsha,
Hahaha! Join the charan-sparsh club, I'm the President! :D

#Suryansh,
Thanks! :P

#Ursjina,
Thanks! :)

#RGB,
:D

#Deepali,
Thanks! :)
ps: Your blog doesn't allow me to comment but your latest post is soooo funny! Swim across the Atlantic Ocean it seems! Hahaha! :D

#Divs,
Welcome and thanks! :) Glad you decided to come out of the shy readers' closet! :)

#Bivas,
It's Viv-acious! :P

#Piyu,
Hehehe! :P

#Amit,
Hahaha... you should see our household - it's an asylum! :P

#Juhi,
Thanks! :)

#Jane,
Abbey aaj kal kuchh zyada hi Aath wale account se sign in karti hai, besharam lazybum! :P

#Satish,
Moja aa gaya? Ek hi? Uska pair nahin aaya? :P :P

#Thisisme,
Hehehe... aadat ho gayi hai ab toh... it's just fun to try and decipher what simple thing he's trying to say in such a complicated manner! :D

#Garam Bheja Fry,
Arre toh khel na! Best friend ko pakad aur khel! :D

//shaadi ke season me bar bahut sahee chal raha hai sayesha bhai!! :)

Hanji sab kuchh Viv-ah ka hi asar hai! :D

#Crazy,
Hehehe... dun get fired, buddy! :P

#T,
Thanks! :)

#Rebellion,
Hahaha! Tujhe toh dus hazaar sports practise karna hai hamaare next meeting tak! :D :D

#Shub,
Yup, DC it is! :)

#Sakshi,
Bhej bhej! I'll show them to Viv too! :D

#Belinda,
Oh! Hahahaha! DC in the bus that day was soooo fun na? On second thoughts, probably not so much for you cos of all the secret codes that Viv and I have! Hehehe! :P

#Iday,
:P :P :P

#Neihal,
Thanks! :)

soleil said...

Too cute! :D

It reminds me of the time Clueless, Confused Soul, Cookie Monster, MG and another friend did charades at the PGP foyer at like 1am. Get Clueless to tell you the story when she needs a break from all the mugging ;)

Bivas said...

viv-acious...viv-ah...sahi hai...
seems like its time for another guest post...the guy is gonna get a big fan following after all that attention he's getting ;-)
and may I add...superman in nappy...reminded me of huggies 'nappy mein bhi happy' ;-)

Dhaval Faria said...

nice fun game.. should give it a try sometime :)

Me said...

i usually runaway from long posts...but this one was too good..

Deepali said...

I enabled comments on my blog from now onwards!
Hey, can i put link to ur blog in my blog? Hope, u don't mind. :)
chalo, waiting for another hilarious post of urs :)

Jeevan Baretto said...

We had such similar experience when our team was visiting back after attending a sports meet.. We were playing Dumb Charades.. One of the girls was was acting out the movie name.. She was constantly pointing towards her tummy as if someone having a big one.. Everybody started guessing -- a pregnant lady, a fat man n all similar things.. Finally that lady got frustrated n gave out the movie name.. Guess what, the movie name was 'The Full Monty'.. Later she told, it seems she was trying to show that the stomach was full.. n therefore derive the movie name eventually... :-)

Unknown said...

hey gr8 post there . Hi i like your blog and wanted to know if you could blog-roll me.Do reply back on my bollywood blog www.movietonic.com

Unknown said...

hehhe.. sooo cute! now u kno y viv's got so many fans out here *blush*
*blush suddenly turns to wicked grin*
:D U'll totally compliment each other!

Lalit Singh said...

We had a guy in our class who used to suck bigtime at pictionary. I will fwd him the link. Maybe he will feel better after reading this :P :P

Sayesha said...

#Soleil,
Hahaha! Will do that once she takes a break. She's hard at work now! :)

#Bivas,
Aha! No more guest posts by that guy... apun ke bar ka sara limelight hog karke grin karta hai! :/

#Dhaval,
You should, it's total fun timepass! :)

#Me,
Thanks! :)

#Deepali,
Sure go ahead, it's an honour! :)

#Jeevan,
Hahahahaha! She should have at least mimed eating and then rubbed her tummy! Merely pointing won't help! I'd have just shown men stripping, hahaha! :D

#Adi,
Errrmmm... thanks but I only blogroll blogs on which I am a regular, not by request. Hope you don't mind! :)

#Tejal,
Sheesh! He'll be so happy to read this! :D

#Lalit,
Oye did you just insult Viv's pictionary skills? Only I have the right to do that muahahaha! Actually he doesn't suck at it -- he just thinks differently. :D

arpana said...

:D

Unknown said...

Viv-ah! aha! kya pun kiyela re :)) Vivah ke baad, sash bhai aaj kal bol reli hai - VIV-aaaaaaaaaaah! ;)

jane

Sidin said...

Absolutely splendiferously funny. Though I would give anything to hear his version of events despite the proof.

Garam Bheja Fry said...

hehe!! viv and viv-dh bharti,, jodi no.1!! :) cheers!!!

*hick* apun talli hai!!

Jaskaran said...

omg!..this was brilliant!!....absolutely hilarious Sayesha!..im gonna be a regular now!

Unknown said...

Aha! Template editing? I like it :D
All the Best for tomorrow dear. Aake khush khabri dena (:P:P:P) aur fir jaldi se update karna :D

Thisisme said...

kal kya hai??????? Batao batao..
me curious!!! :-??
anyways..All the Best :D:D

Vivek said...

ROTFHWLATCO = Rolling On The Floor Howling With Laughter And Tears Coming Out!!

Bless us and youtube, by making a movie for the next "Dumb Charades" you play!

Sayesha said...

#Arpana,
:D

#Aath,
Hahahaha! :D

#Sidin,
Hey, welcome to my space! :) And his version is no different, as was apparent from the sheepish grin on his face as he read this post! :D

#Garam Bheja Fry,
Hahahaha! Viv-dh bharti! I like it! Hahaha! :D

#Jaskaran,
Thanks! :)

#Rebellion,
No khush khabri yet re... interview went ok but I was happier with the second round than this one... dekhte hain.

#Thisisme,
Job interview baba! Ho bhi gaya! :)

#Vivek,
Thanks! :)

Enigma said...

Hey,

Tat was a neat post, it had me thinking n laughing simutaneously... Came across ur blog from another blog i read... and yeah, i ended up reading most of ur old posts... great blog... will be haunting ur blog more often...

:)
Cheeku

Garam Bheja Fry said...

sayesha bhai tere se ek request hai!! apun ek story likhela hai..tension naa le talli hoke nahee likha..:D

tu padhega to apun ko acha laginga..
time mile to padhna viv-idh bharti!!

http://darnamanahai.blogspot.com/2007/04/kiss.html

:)

Unknown said...

too good :):)

mythalez said...

=)) ... awesome viv-ji's game playing .. and awesome narration

Confused Soul said...

ROTFL!! Awesome post!! We should play pictionary with you guys sometime.. probably in the vacation when all of us doing internships will have nothing to do during the weekends! :P

Wanderlust said...

Excellent post !!!!
Your Viv's lateral thinking gives a complete new dimension to this thought process surely ....
Creativity at its best ...
Cheers !!!

Unknown said...

hahahahaahhaaha that is the map of india according to viv?
i think the screws in his hand are screwing with him big time!
:p

Sayesha said...

#Cheeku,
Welcome to Sayeshaz and thanks for commenting! Glad you enjoyed the post. :)

#Garam Bheja Fry,
Apun ne padha aur comment bhi likha! :D

#Sandya,
Thanks! :)

#Mythalez,
Haha, thanks! :)

#Confused Soul,
Thanks! Yeah, do drop by during the holidays! :)

#Wanderlust,
Thanks! :D

#Ipanema Girl,
Hahahahaha! :D

The Visitor said...

I never knew that playing Pictionary could be such fun. ROFL SMSL and what not.

Sayesha said...

#The Visitor,
:D

Itchingtowrite said...

wow!! i am speechless. this guy of yours has sharp brains. Shankar dayal was priceless.

Itchingtowrite said...

breathless was even more priceless

Sayesha said...

#Itchingtowrite,
Thanks! :) But hey, all credit to him? None to the incredibly brilliant guesser? :/

Unknown said...

ROFLMAO!!!!
I just noticed the arrow shooting out of stick boy's nose. that is too funny man! viv is a genius! he deserves avaaaaard!

DesiGirl said...

Man! My mind is still boggling at the way your thot processes seem to run.

Well done to the pair of you! :D