Tuesday, April 14, 2015

L is for love

A couple of years ago, a group of us mommy friends had gotten together with our tiny babies. We were discussing which age was the cutest. The veteran mommy amongst us (the only one who had an older kid too) immediately said, "Four."

"Four? Seriously?" I was cynical. I'd have thought two, or three. "Why four?"

"That's when the 'I love you's flow freely."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, you don't have to say 'Baby, say 'I love you'.' They will say it by themselves."

I was still quite cynical, but now I see what she meant.

Xena is definitely going through the free flow of 'I love you' phrase. She knows when to say it (oh, the crafty little one!) and how to say it, and include variations, and use it generously. It feels so strange because I surely don't remember saying 'I love you' to my parents or having them say it to me, in English or any other language even. It's a different era I suppose.

Here is a recent conversation I had with Xena on this.

Xena - Mama, I love you.

Me - Thank you, baby. I love you too.

Xena - I love daddy too.

Me - That's nice. How much do you love him?

Xena - I love him... a leeeetle.

Me (making sad face)

Xena - Okay okay, I love him a LOT.

Me - And how much do you love me?

Xena - I love you... as big as... (pauses to think)... THE WALL!

Me - Err... okay. Thank you. Do you know how much I love you?

Xena - Bigger than THE WALL??

Me - Yes. I love you... to infinity and back!

Xena (thinking of a way to trump that) - I... love you to.... infinity... PLUS ONE HUNDRED!



4 comments:

Arun said...

The score is "love all", but Xena takes game, set & match :)

Anonymous said...

Also, she loooooooves Dravid, yaaay :D

Keirthana said...

Cute!

Sayesha said...

Arun,
:))))

shemuses,
//Also, she loooooooves Dravid, yaaay :D

ROFLLLL! :D

Keirthana,
:))))