Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The right pick

She looked around at the crowd around her. "Unbelievable..." She shook her head and muttered to herself. But she needed the crowd for the work she was about to do. She scanned each face carefully, looking for the right one. She kept looking, ignoring the advice of the voices in her head that said, "You don't have to actively look for them, that will draw too much attention and the whole thing could backfire. If you scare them away, you will never be able to achieve anything. Just relax, okay? They will come to you on their own, trust us. You're getting a bit psychotic and obsessive about this, you know. It doesn't have to be such a dramatic battle in your head first. You're not the only person who does this. There are many people out there who do this on a daily level. If it has to happen, it will. If not, you just go about your usual business and come back."

She didn't agree. "I have to find them myself." She thought. There had been times she had failed and felt miserable. When she felt that the target was within arm's reach and yet, she couldn't do anything because of the sea of people between the target and her. She scanned the crowd once more, looking for the right one. It had to be someone old and frail, preferably a retiree. Any younger and/or stronger and yes, the whole thing could backfire. Preferably someone holding a large heavy bag, she thought. She looked at the people around her and shook her head in disapproval. None of them were suitable.

And finally, after a long long time, she found the perfect target, standing just a few feet away. Very old. Completely white hair. Very thin and frail. He was holding a large white plastic bag, and looked like he was struggling with the weight. "That's the one. Finally." She smiled to herself. And the best part was --- even though he was not looking at her, he was walking right towards her.

She got up, tapped him on the shoulder to get his attention, and said as the bus rocked again, "Uncle, you can have my seat."



23 comments:

Swathy said...

bhai!
anyayam, anyayam ( injustice!!)
gimme the gold, gimme gimmee!! :)
acha nahi to silver bhi chalega.:)

Swathy said...

once mystery solved, I went back again , to see if something doesnt match with the punch!
par sub kuch matching! :D

nits said...

oye... gold goes to swati... and i get silver....

in a game of international level... organizers can not participate... grrrrrrrr

Sayesha said...

#Swathy,
That wasn't me, it was an impostor. I've deleted that comment. :)

#nits,
Haha! I am not silly enough to claim gold on my own post. It was some smartass I guess. :)

Tejal said...

This is the reason that you are my favorite blogger. No, actually tectnically there are two reasons. First, the stuff that you do and eventually write about and second, the way you write the stuff, making it sound so amazing yet so peculiar(in a nice way though).
I bow to thee. (Now i'm all senti n stuff..uffo)

Tejal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tejal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sayesha said...

#nits,
//in a game of international level...

LOL!!! :D

#Tejal,
Thank you! :D Technically, there are two reasons why I liked your comment. Firstly, for a change you're not last on the post, Ms. President. :P Secondly, for once you praised me instead of your hero Viv! :P :P

Sum said...

:) Nice one.....

Shoba Sharat said...

Haha..Good one Sash!

rt said...

cant believe it ..seriously..
I mean i had the experience last month in the airport buses ..and was thnkg abt putting a similar post in my blog...
although i dint succeed in this endeavour (both doing it and posting it):(

Thousif Raza said...

:P nice one well told :)



take care and keep writing..........

Amey said...

Yup, being polite is a lot of work, and stressful to boot.

ND said...

Bhai, apun fully senti ho gaya hai, lekin ek technical doubt hai.

If he was directly walking towards her, how could she tap on his shoulder? :P

naween said...

i thought this was going to be a vampire kind of thing. or at least a witch :P

~ Lopa said...

hahaha nice one...
I am happy now i see more updates on your blog than 1-2 months before :)

Baatein unkahi si said...

All I can say : Fundoo post:-)

Sayesha said...

#Sum,
:)

#Shoba,
Thanks. :)

#rt,
Yeahaha! Beat you to it! :P :P :P

#Thousif,
Thanks! :)

#Amey,
I reckon you're being sarcastic? (Always better to check. :P) Yeah, trust me it's stressful. I once offered a seat to a pregnant woman and she glared at me rudely (she wasn't pregnant, just overweight). :O There have been times when I have offered my seat to the elderly and they have flatly refused. Can get a little embarrassing, especially when people around you have heard you. It's like the dude is saying, "I think you need it more." Sheesh! :P

#ND,
He was walking towards her, but not looking at her. She had to get up and tap his shoulder (technical details: her left hand to his right shoulder) to get his attention. :)

#naween,
:D

#~Lopa,
Meee toooo! Man, I feel terrible when I have no time for the bar... so I'm trying to get more regular now. Thanks for the support! :)

#Dil se,
Thanks! :)

R said...

Bahin,
I am getting married on the 17th of November. Dont have your email id so cant mail. You are cordially invited :D

RP

Neha said...

I started thinking on different lines, till I read you needed an old guy.

:D ;)

Mango Man said...

Very nice post :-) good to see a different style of writing from you!

Sayesha said...

#Raam Pyari,
CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D

#N,
Sheesh!

#Mango Man,
Thanks! :)

kris said...

Really nice work...
(Both --- the blog entry post and the work...... :) )


Comments are invited on my diary at :
www.abhishekacharyadiary.blogspot.com