Friday, January 19, 2018

Pickle-minded

"What is this, Mama?"

"It's poha."

"But I don't like poha."

"You've never had poha."

"Yes, I have! And I didn't like it. You know I don't like dal in my food."

"There is no dal in poha."

"There is! I can see it! The small yellow things."

"Ok, pick up the 'dal' and eat it and tell me if it's really dal."

"Okay." [Picks out a tiny yellow piece and bites it apprehensively]

"So?"

"It's potato..."

"Yeah?"

"... but I don't like potato."

"You like nothing. Does that I mean I should cook nothing?"

"No... Okay, can I put a slice of cheese on the poha?"

"What."

"A slice of cheese on the poha."

"Nobody eats cheese on poha."

"I do!"

"You've never... sigh, never mind. Why don't you try just the poha first, and then you can decide if you want cheese on it?"

"Okay." [Takes a bite; doesn't make a face]

"Nice, isn't it?"

"Yes..."

"See? You have to try it before you decide if you like it or not. I made it just for you. Without coriander leaves and chillies."

"But I like chillies!"

"Since when?"

"I like spice!"

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. Because... unspicy food... is the most... dislikefullest food."

"It is? Okay, next time I won't skip the chillies."

"Okay. Can I add some achaar to the poha?"

"Hmm... Okay. Go ahead."

"Okay." [adds pickle and takes a bite]

"Nice?"

"Yum!"

"Really?"

"Yes. Mama, this is the best poha I have had in my whole life."

"You've never... sigh, never mind. Thank you, baby."



2 comments:

How do we know said...

ROTFL!!! Lovely! I love how she is growing up!

Charan Deep Singh said...

I like the title of this post... Funny