Thursday, November 17, 2016

Beat that

Usually, I like to play music on Saavn or Youtube while I work. And since I work from home, I can really play loud, blaring music. There are no colleagues to annoy. (Except the one found in the full-length mirror on my wardrobe next to my desk. For the most part, she furiously types away, hard at work just like me, but I have to admit, sometimes even she turns to give me judgemental looks on my taste.)

So I was looking for something to play yesterday, when in a very timely manner, my sis-in-law sent me a Youtube link to a song. The title was 'The Chainsmokers - Closer | Kabira (ft. Casey Breves) (Vidya Vox Mashup Cover)'.

I clicked on it.

Gaaaahhhh.

No, it wasn't a virus. It was worse.

Okay, so first things first. There are some things I disapprove of rather strongly. I can't get my head around why they exist, why someone would do something like that.

Selfies.

Vodka pani puri (it's an insult to vodka and pani puri).

Remixes. DJ XYZ mixes.

Random English lyrics in Hindi songs. Yo baby. Let's party. Oh girl.

Words like mashup, cover, feat/ft.

It was therefore a very disorienting experience for me when I found myself actually liking the song she had sent. I actually liked it. I LOVE the song Kabira and here I was, NOT hating this mashup/mix-up/feat/cover version of it. Grrr...

Who was this Vidya and why was she Vox and why she did she look so familiar (my best guess is Vaani Kapoor before she got plastic surgery + Nigaar Khan) and why why why oh why was I liking this song?

While I was trying to get my head around what had just happened to my entire belief system, the next song autoplayed. And though normally I don't keep the screen with the songs open when I'm working, I simply had to stop everything and find out what was going on and who on earth was playing the tabla so impossibly well. The beats were slaying me. Even my colleague in the mirror stopped and gaped.

Good things must be shared. Here it is.

Suffer, my fellow humans. This song will not leave you.







8 comments:

CookieCrumbsInc. said...

Haha, I had to read twice to make sure you liked the "mashup".
Personally not a fan of remixes/covers either but Vidya Vox seems to have converted me :)

P.S: Regular lurker unlurking to bask in the mutual hatred for selfies.

me said...

hey Sayesha.
Nigar Khan and Vani Kapoor bit... spot on ! :-)

Snowbeak said...

Isn't she the one who became super famous for a song with Shankar Tucker?

Reef by any other name said...

Atleast someone sent you the song! I was playing another set of songs altogether when the same songs popped up and i considered cancelling it/them but i was folding clothes and had to let it play. I didnt even know who what singing what and had to look it up. Moral of the story:Sometimes youtube autuplay can be a good thing.

Prithi Shetty said...

I love mashups & remixes.

When I read Saavn & Youtube (my staples too), I am compelled to recommend Vividh Bharati Seva (VBS) http://vividhbharti.org/vividh-bharti-listen-live-stream/

Offside, please update commenting pref, to allow with Name/Url. This will let Non-Blogger, Non-Google accounts to comment as well.

Sayesha said...

CookieCrumbs,
Hehehe... *high five* :D

me,
Thanks! No one else agrees with me, all I get is "Who are Nigaar Khan and Vaani Kapoor"? :/

Snowbeak,
No idea! I just discovered her. :P

Reef by any other name,
Agree! :D

Prithi,
Thanks for the link. Will check it out.
PS: Hmmm... I thought my blog does allow name/url commenting? Or does blogger not have that option? I'll check.

Siddhu said...

Sayesha, I've been reading your blog for at least fourteen years now, and don't often comment; at least not since I stopped blogging myself way back in 2006. But this post has now got me addicted to this Vidya Vox woman. What a singer! Thank you!!

andrea chiu said...


I really had a great time stopping by your site, it gives me a lot of information.
You can also visit my site, thank you!

triciajoy.com

www.triciajoy.com