Monday, July 15, 2013

Run of the mille

My dad reminded me that my blog's thousandth post is coming up, and that I should write something significant for it. So I decided to skip writing about other matters of national importance, such as a survey on What Bewdas Really Think of Deepika Padukone's Accent in the Chennai Express Trailer, and write something about the bar itself.

The bar. Ah, the bar. Where to start and how to start. So let me not even start and simply point you to this post, which explains why I call this place a bar, and you guys and girls bewdas.

Sometimes I can't believe that the bar has been around for 8 and a half years. Even more incredible is the fact that some of the bewdas have been with me all of these years! I mean, blogging was 'in' when I started, but it is 'out' now, isn't it? We just don't have the patience to read long posts anymore, do we? We find even long emails addressed to us tedious. That's why many of my blogger buddies from ye olde times have moved on to Twitter. Blogging is old school now. So why am I still a blogger and not a tweeter? One, I feel Twitter is a platform more suitable for celebrities; two, I have too much to type (how will I ever ramble in just 140 characters?); and three; I can barely keep up with updating the bar and Facebook, I can't imagine having one more thing to update. So, for the record, I am not on Twitter and never will be. The plan is to blog as long as I possibly can, and that's that.

Some day in the future, when I'm old and retired and don't have much to do, I will start reading my blog from the beginning to relive bits and pieces of my life. Since I started my blog, I have moved from being a clueless fresh graduate to switching my career and starting at the very bottom, getting my master's degree, building my career in publishing, getting married, getting pregnant and becoming a mother. Yes, yes, I hear you bewdas who are shaking their heads and going "Yaar yeh aajkal sirf apni beti ke baare mein hi likhti hai..." I really don't know what to say to that. It's like that cheesy line "Pyaar kiya nahin jata, ho jata hai." Xena ke baare mein blogging kiya nahin jata, ho jata hai. I can't help it. I seriously can't. But in a way, I like that the bar always reflects what is going on in my life, and right now, as you know, she's top of the goings-on in my life.

Sometimes, I read some old posts and wonder if it was really me who wrote it. In many posts, I sound so silly, so childish, so juvenile, so egoistic, so deluded, so utterly foolish. But in a way, it is interesting how the blog has chronicled the changes in my thoughts, my character, personality and writing style over the years. I started this blog not because I had a lot of thoughts (actually I don't think I had any, looking at my first post!), but because everyone else around me seemed to have one and I felt left out. Seriously. My colleagues couldn’t stop talking about this ‘blog’ thingie. Apparently, they all had one. So I decided to get one myself and find out what it was all about. Never did I ever imagine that I would keep the blog going for so many years. But to be honest, I'm taking too much credit here. The blog is alive because of the bewdas who made this their adda. True, we blog for ourselves, not others. But it's also true that sometimes it's those others who keep us going. I can't count the number of times I was pinged by a bewda and reminded to get back to blogging. Truth of the matter is - I love blogging. I LOVE it. But sometimes, it takes a backseat, and I honestly miss it. So thank you, bewdas, for your support, your patience, your comments, your emails and your love.

Assuming that at the very least, I spend about an hour (yes, even on this post!!) on each post, that's 1000 hours I have clocked in at the bar! Some may consider it a total waste of time, but thankfully I don't. It has been worth it and more.

Thank you for choosing the bar for your addabaazi purposes, bewdas.

I made the bar happen, but you make the bar happening.



29 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats Sayesha! I love reading your blog and always look forward to new posts. Don't ever stop...

Arun said...

Haha, this started as a "peer pressure blog"! :)

Great blog; I always enjoy it; please keep it going as long as you can!

V said...

Checking in. Have read all of your posts (even if I cant recall them ) since I started following years ago. How you be?

V

Ijji said...

Xena..non Xena...love all your posts...and twitter generation is always ready for a good read....

Just Keep Writing :)

Jina said...

Wow..and Yay.. And here is a 1000 cheers to another 1000 yet to come..

Love,
J

basskeyz said...

I have many blogs on my reader and yours is the first blog I read , I really enjoy it and all your stories of xena as well.....blog on !!

venkatesan said...

Keep it going!!

Varsha said...

This sounds very much like an acceptance speech to an award. ;).
But an award nonetheless for completing 1000 entries. Congratulations.
Yes, miss your blog when you don't post for sometime.
The happenings in your life many times coincide with what has happened/is happening and will happen in my life.
So, Xena, SSSK, Bollywood, work, life, travel, everything and anything is eagerly awaited on the bar and will always remain a true "bewda" though a teetotaler in real life.

Obscure Optimist said...

Wow...Congratulations and we want the posts coming!! Like you said...this is my adda! :D :D

the.orchestra.of.life said...

Je baaat !!

Sri said...

Congratulations!!:)

Please keep blogging..we all love reading your posts!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your 1000th post Sayesha!!! Keep blogging....here's to another 100 more !!!!
Archana

Unknown said...

Sorry make that another 1000 more :-)
Archana

~ PragyaN ~ said...

congratulations for achieving a milestone! hope to see you crossing more :)
I second you bit by bit in what you mentioned about the blog's usability in the coming days!
happy blogging :)

Icecream.....n thats me :) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Icecream.....n thats me :) said...

Hi Sayesha, Am an avid reader of your blog and a secret admirer i wld say :).....ive never commented on your posts, but this one being a milestone of your blogging, thght will reveal myself. Gr8 going.
Heres for thousand more!!!

Vineela (Bangalore)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! :)
Have read every single post of yours and will keep coming back to read more and more! Keep it coming!! ;)

Sree said...

true... a well invested time, for yourself and for us too... you have truly matured over years and shown a lot more courage than anticipated from an average individual in the most trying situations...

Happy.. and here is for many more to come.

Nobody said...

I was a teetotaler at first, a friend recommended the bar to me about 3 years ago, and I have been a bevdi ever since. Have even dug up the 'barrels in the basement' ;)

I love love LOVE the bar, and want it to go on forever. Congrats on the nearly-1000 posts.

And well, you are one of the inspirations to make me get my own blog. :)

Keep writing, and rest assured, we will keep reading. :)

TUNGATHAVAJAN said...

Congrats Sayesha .. Long live this blg

Navin said...

Keep on writing. Readers like me will never stop reading!

Chanchal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Divya said...

Have been here since the beginning. Am glad that I could be a small part of your journey. Thank you for having me here!!
Here's to many many more. Clink!

Divya

Hema said...

Congrats Sayesha! Your blog is one of my favorite hangouts. Please keep the bar up and running as long as you can :)

Cheers to many more years of blogging...!!!

Kanan said...

*clink*

*hic*

LOL

Gold! ;)

Alice said...

I left a very long mawkish comment and then blogger ate it up X(

Anyhow, here's to you and the bar. Knowing the bhai, and later, the littlest ever gundi has been a complete joy.

Keep the bar open always, ok? You never know who might glance while walking past and then become a regular. CHeers n joy.

Kaunquest said...

nice read, cheers to that!

Unknown said...

Over the years....

A small phrase but a world of memories behind them.

It may have started as an in thing but today it has become a part f who you are.

Keep rocking naari

Jass said...

Long time, since i have been here. Good to know you are still actively writing. Hope to come back more often. :-)

Ek zamaana tha google reader ka. Abhi to bas twitter pe char link click kar liye aur bas ho gaya.