Thursday, April 28, 2016

X is for xièxie nĭ

"Lăoshī, even I know the song now! I can sing almost half of it!" I proudly told Xena's Chinese teacher.

We were in the middle of a school excursion at the Botanical Gardens. She stopped in her tracks, gave Xena a suspicious look and asked, "What song?"

"The latest one. She sings it all day! The one that goes... (and I actually started singing) 'Mummy mummy, xièxie nĭ'..." [Mummy, mummy, thank you...]

"WHAT?" She looked distraught.

Then she turned to Xena.

"Xenaaaaaaa..." She exclaimed. "Why did you tell herrrr???"

"Tell me what? What's going on?" I was lost.

"It was supposed to be a Mother's Day surprise. We have been rehearsing for days. I had told the kids not to tell their mommies that they were learning this song." She looked crestfallen.

I didn't know how to console her. I could not un-know what I knew. So, erm, we went our ways.

Much later, perhaps having realised the gravity of her actions, Xena turned to me and said rather seriously, "Mama, there is another surprise Mother's Day song. But I can't tell you what it is, ok?"

"Ok." I said thoroughly amused. "But why not?" I teased, expecting to hear, "Because it's a surprise!"

"Because I don't know it yet. We will learn it next week."

I controlled my laughter with much difficulty and not knowing what else to say, gave her a big hug.

Xièxie nĭ, my baby, for always telling me everything.

Pliss to be continuing such behaviour in the future too.



The original song can be found here



3 comments:

Zainab said...

Awww... Very touching. Xena looks kinda shy in front of the camera fidgeting whilst singing. Stay blessed always cutie pie.

Anonymous said...

I can't get over the cuteness of that smile in the end. Made my day :)

Sayesha said...

Zainab,
Yes, she tends to get conscious sometimes. :)

pepperedthoughts,
Thank you. :)