Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Chilli garlic babycorn

So Viv had a cricket meeting tonight, meaning I was in the extremely undesirable position of having to cook for one. Making dough for two chapatis was so not worth it, and then I would have to make a sabzi to go with it. There were no fresh vegetables in the fridge but when I raided the cupboard, I found a can of baby corn.

Bingo.

I decided that this was the best opportunity to try out something new because even if it backfired, poor Viv wouldn't have to suffer the consequences (Bhai in pativrata mode, eh? Hota hai. Kabhi kabhi.)

So here it is, the recipe for the chilli garlic babycorn that I just made and am chomping down as I type.

Ingredients:


  • 1 can of babycorn

  • 1 small onion, finely chopped

  • 10 green chillis (please control this as per your taste; mine's a bit insane), finely chopped

  • 4 cloves of garlic, grated (I hate biting on garlic pieces so I always grate it instead of chopping it. No matter how finely I chop it, I still end up biting on a piece and going "Bleeaaah!")

  • Green chilli sauce (I used Ching's, available everywhere in India and now, FINALLY, in Mustafa in Singapore! Yipeee!)

  • Red chilli sauce (Ching's again, though Maggi may work too)

  • Soya sauce (If you live in Singapore, use no brand other than Kikkoman! Others will ruin your dish!)

  • Vinegar

  • Salt

  • Pepper

  • 2 tablespoons cornflour

  • Spring onion


Method:

1. Wash the babycorn pieces and slice them horizontally.

2. Add a dash of soya sauce and red chilli sauce.

3. Sprinkle the cornflour and a little salt. Mix well.

4. Let it marinate for about 20 minutes. (I chopped the vegetables while it marinated.)

5. Heat sufficient oil to shallow fry the babycorn. (I had just given darshan at the gym yesterday and didn't want to deep-fry, though I suspect deep-frying would make it tastier. Oh well.)

6. Fish out the babycorn pieces from the marinade and shallow fry them for about 5-10 minutes till reddish-golden. There will be some marinade left but don't throw it -- we'll use it later for the sauce.

7. Remove and place on a piece of kitchen towel. Place another piece of kitchen towel on top and press lightly to absorb the extra oil.

8. Heat about 1-2 tablespoons of oil. (Fortunately, the oil left over after shallow frying was just enough to make the sauce. You may want to use a suitable amount of oil to achieve this, it saves the jhanjhat of reusing the once-fried oil for other stuff.)

9. Add the chopped green chillies, grated garlic and chopped onions and fry for a while.

10. Add some vinegar, some soya sauce and some green chilli sauce (all quantities andaaz se). Don't ask why red chilli sauce to marinate the babycorn and green to make the sauce. Ainwain. Mann kiya.

11. Add a little salt and pepper.

12. Add the leftover marinade and stir well. You may have to add a little water to get the right consistency.

13. Toss in the babycorn and mix well.

14. Garnish with spring onion and serve immediately. Yum!

PS: Yeah, I saved a little (only a little) for Viv. :P



24 comments:

Roopa said...

I love baby corn. I'm gonna get mom to try this (I'm not so much of a cook. I don't want to ruin the recipe trying it myself :) )

Btw, you could have added some pictures, at least of the final product.

Sayesha said...

#Roopa,
There is a picture, not sure why it wasn't visible. I just re-uploaded. Can you see it now? :)

Nidhi said...

Looks delicious!!! Gonna try it soon...and I really dont mind making my hubby the guinea pig :D

Roopa said...

Yup. I can see it now. Looks yum :) Thanks for re-uploading.

nidhi said...

Looks quite yummy....happy to see your chilli quotient is just as high as mine :)

Anonymous said...

waaa food -sigh- i was hoping your next post would be pictionary -sigh-
great recipe though :P

Akshay said...

this will certainly be tried...thanks!

Kanan said...

Wowie, that looks delicious. But OMG! the spiciness seems too high for me. 10 green chili peppers.. I am already seeing stars in the day :D
Keep the recipes coming... believe it or not, that's one of the things I am starting to do in the new year... spend time in kitchen. ;) dekhte hai kitne log khana chhod dete hai. LOL

mythalez said...

arre .. cooking for one aka self is quite desirable .. you get the liberty to make exactly what you feel like eating and also the freedom to experiment .. just like u did here ;)

Tejal said...

looks delicious!
10 green chillies.. my kinda dish :D

(btw, nobody has claimed Gold yet so its mine!!)

Bivas said...

looks amazing and yummy... :D
and since Tejal reminded abt the claims...here's mine...Silver!

Unknown said...

Bronze!
I am feeling hungry already!!

Porkodi (பொற்கொடி) said...

hahaha.. bhai, you cooking pheels so phunny!!! :D i mean, just imagining The Bhai in all her bhaigiri costume stand in the kitchen makes me rotfl.. :D

Sid said...

This is probably the first time that I am seeing the word Ainwain used in writing. And it's awesome.
One word that says so many things that a word in English can't :-)

HS said...

you can watch movies(english/french) online here
www.tubemotion.com

Varsha said...

Wow, it looks yummy. The recipe looks simple too. Thanks for sharing it. Will try it soon.

Varsha

Deepu said...

OMG, i think that would be not worth tasting. he he. poor Viv. :)

Serendipity said...

Thanks sayesha. I have been controlling myself for the past 3 days , one look at that pic and am trotting off towards the chinese counter
:P

Assuntha said...

Hi Sayesha,

I have already tried your recipe. Loved it.

Thanks.
Divya.

Chitra said...

Yum yum yum!! This truly looks delicacious :D !

Sayesha said...

#Nidhi,
Hehehe! Tell me how it turned out! :)

#Roopa,
You're most welcome! What's a recipe without a picture of the finished product, eh? :)

#nidhi,
Hehehe! High-five! :D

#Shaiz,
Hahaha! I was telling Viv the other day about you and how you have been spamming old posts with demands for a pictionary post! :P Coming soon, coming soon. :)

#Akshay,
Tell me how it went? :)

#Kanan,
Thanks! Hope the resolution goes well! :)

#mythalez,
Hahaha! True true, but it's really boring if you're just making something usual. :)

#Tejal,
Yahan bhi tujhe khaane se zyada khazana chahiye? :P

#Bivas,
Thanks. :D

#deepika,
Hahaha! Try making it! It's really simple and very yummy! :)

#Porkodi,
Hahahaha! Bhai is a one-Bhai show, sab kuchh karta hai apun! ;)

#Sid,
Hehehe... I so agree with you. There are some words that just can't be translated! :)

#HS,
OK. Thank you.

#Varsha,
You're welcome! :)

#Deepu,
:(

#Serendipity,
Oh man! I miss the Indo-Chinese food. India wala! :'(

#Assuntha,
Yeay! Thanks for letting me know! :)

#Chitra,
Thanks! :D

Sinjhini said...

Amazing one...Looked damn yummy and I just couldnt wait to try it out...
A suggestion, I tried this recipe with some red/ yellow bell peppers.. enhanced the taste of this already delicious recipe

Sayesha said...

#Sinjhini,
Oooh that sounds awesome! I'm gonna try that the next time!! :)

Neha said...

The pic is damn neat!!!Kisi recipe blog se copy paste nahin ki na?? hehe just kidding...I am sure you cooked it well...but wats all this abt the chillies?? 10 green chillies and then green chilli sauce and then red chilli sauce!!

Whooaaaa!!!!