Thursday, July 19, 2007

Proud and loud

The Girl from Ipanema has come up with a tag which is simply brillianto - reasons or events that make you proud of yourself. Methinks this will be one popular tag cos rarely does one get an opportunity to be honest and proud and rave about oneself without being called vain (I was tagged what! *innocent look*).

So here I go! Wheee!


  • In school days, I always stood (not up on the bench!) first in class.

  • I followed Dad's and Mom's rules like a good girl - no staying up late to study, no cable TV, no pocket money, no speaking in English at home. It taught me the value of money (hey, having 20 pairs of shoes is a totally different issue altogether!), discipline and heritage. When I see kids who can't speak their native language because their parents only spoke to them in English, I feel so proud that I know how to read, write and speak in my language even though I never studied it in school or lived in my state for that matter.

  • I have a passion for my job and that helps me be good at it. I loved my last job. And I love my present job. I was head-hunted by two competitors when I was at my last job, and though I am not against being head-hunted, the reasons were all wrong, and I am glad I did not jump ship just for the money. I have had the best bosses and I'm proud of the training they gave me. And I think I make a decent boss too. Recently, I was so flattered when all of the three new hires wanted to be in my team because they had heard 'good things' about me.

  • I cook a mean meal. My friends and family will vouch for it (without me holding them at knifepoint).

  • When I was a kid, you could make your parents proud only if you became a doctor or an engineer. So an engineer I did become, but who was to say that I had to work as one? Muahahaha! :D So I refused and became an editor. Wasn't easy, considering the first publisher I approached kicked me out for having the 'wrong qualifications and background'. Not convinced by their reasons, I applied to the same company again two weeks later. Last year I completed 4 years in that company. I'm proud that I was so persistent in following my passion. It gave me a foothold in the publishing industry.

  • I volunteer as a waitress at Annalakshmi, and as a henna artist for SVC's Olympic Dream.

  • I'd put on quite a bit of weight in my first year at university. I exercised like hell, and without going on a diet, went and got myself one of those figgah thingies. (It was like getting a car. You have no idea when you're getting one that maintenance is going to be a toughie.)

  • I'd never stayed away from home, but at the age of 18, I packed my bags and decided to take up the scholarship and go and live in a foreign land, of which I knew nothing, for ten years.

  • I did a part-time Master's in Mass Communication course (I could not afford the full-time course) and completed all modules AND my dissertation in record time of 1.5 years. I lived a crazy life back then. I had to get up at 6.30 am to go to work in the east, finish work, then take a bus, a train and another bus to go to class in the west, finish at 9.30 pm, take a bus, a train and another bus home, go to sleep by midnight, and then wake up at 6.30 am for the next cycle all over again. It was like a loooooooong exhausting day that lasted 1.5 years. But I am proud of it, because it was the first time I was paying for my own education and this Wednesday, my parents will be there to see me convocate.

  • I married my best friend.

Wheee! I am done and you are tagged!

Be proud. Be loud.



30 comments:

Just Jane said...

GOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!

HA!!!! THENGA TO ALL THE LOSERS :P

these were really cool points to be proud of, and no wonder you were loud about it! :-)

Prya said...

SILVER!!!!!!!!!!!
me in the top 3!!!
Yipeeeeeeeeeee.. thats a first :D

Prya said...

Am making my own list on the same lines.. But for different reasons altogether.. And yes, it does make me realize that there are a lot of things I should be proud of. Am not just another face in the crowd.
:)))

faiqg said...

This has nothing to do with this post.
I googled and found "Kaam karo bhai kaam karo
Tum jag mein apna naam karo" . This was written by you as a response to some other blog. I have been trying VERY hard to recollect the subsequent lines. If you remember, pretty please let me know. faiqrg at gmail

Unknown said...

awww.. Me's proud of Bhai too!
heeeeh! nobody has claimed Bronze yet! MINE!

Bivas said...

The last point is the best! :-)

Unknown said...

Sash..
Warm pats on the back for such wonderful accomplishments. The challenging times were tough but you were tougher. You make me proud and you are a real inspiration. Keep it up and wish you many more that make you happy and proud! :)
Harshi.

The Girl Who Sold The World said...

Someday, I want to be proud like this too...like having the courage to live all alone in an alien land for sooooooo long, like loving the job that I eventually get, like having the strength to work so hard and financing my studies all by myself. Did I ever tell you that I totally admire you for all that? :)

PS: It's sincere. No, I don't want the gold to be chheenofied from Janie but if you do wanna do it, then, wellllllll... :D

Arul said...

You rock girl...
:)

Sakshi said...

Sigh. I thought and thought and thought some more.. still can not come up with 8 points :(

Jay said...

That's an impressive list :)

Nakshatra said...

"this will be one popular tag cos rarely does one get an opportunity to be honest and proud and rave about oneself without being called vain"- i so agree. me off to make my list. u know wat i like best bout this post..its ur respect for ur native tongue so hate it when people judge others by their english grammer.

Sudipta Chatterjee said...

Simply Sayesha! :)

venkatesan said...

We are also proud of you and are glad that Viv chose you

Enigma said...

Hey! tat was inspiring... Way to girl girl :) Like couple of the comments here go, u sure do inspire us all...

someday i too wanna finance my studies, so i keep postponing it when my parents ask me abt it...

maybe not now, but some day i too will have a line up of "i-make-myself-proud" list as dashing as Bhai's!

Angelsera said...

hey lemme know when ur convo is..can meet up for "hi" :)

Unknown said...

good job girl! way to go.

Unknown said...

:) Definitely inspiring....

Sandip Chaudhuri said...

^:)^
The last point superceeds everything.

fee said...

This entry's tops. Definitely sums you up well. Infact I was reading your first few blogs recently and now reading this..you definitely ought to be proud...
I especially admire how you've acknowledged knowing your language as something important..Really individualizes you...
Well..love the blog.. its nice n lively n makes for good reading...

Preethi

Krishna Shankar said...

You've put everything so nicely, as always great read!

Unknown said...

That was fast Sashbhai and I agree, a nice tag Lajjo has come up with. We all are proud of you for all of them bhai. See, bhai log bhi acche achhe kaam karte hain, ab sabko believe hoga! hehe :P

LOL @ Sakshi. Ditto too :P
I'm gonna complete this tag the co-operative way. So, sashbhai, please think of one good point that you think I have ;)

Ashwat said...

where's your halo?

Sayesha said...

#Janefield,
Thanksss! :P

#Prya,
Yippeee!! Share your list!! :)

#Faigg,
Uhh... I have no idea what goes after that... err... repeat twice? :P

#Tejal,
Hehehehe! :P

#Bivas,
:)

#Harshi,
Thanks dear! :)

#World Girl,
Thanks dear! Pehli baar tere muh se meri taareef nikli hai... how many did you have? :P

#Arul,
Thanks! :)

#Sakshi,
Naan sense. Lazybum! :/

#Jay,
Thanks! :)

#Divya,
Thanks! :)

#Sudipta,
:)

#Venkat,
Hehehe... thanks! :)

#Cheeku,
All the best yaar! :)

#Angelsera,
It's on Wednesday - 25th! :)

#Ipanema Gal,
Thanks! :)

#Duhita,
:P

#Sandew,
Haha! Thanks! :)

#Preethi,
Thanks! :)

#Krishna,
Thanks! :)

#Rebellion,
Heheh... thanks! But don't you let that lazybum Sakshi get to you! Sabko bigaad diya hai usne! :/

#Achoo,
It's there. Only "virtuous people" can see it. :)
*coyly looks at nails*

Sakshi said...

Sayesha - Apun ne twist daal diya kahani mein :P Done tag and all that..

Sayesha said...

#Sakshi,
Aila! Duniya hil gayi re! Tuney ek kaam time par kiya! :D

Unknown said...

sakshi DID NOT do my tag. :@
i am very angry.

GuNs said...

Ok! You're married.

-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs

Melody said...

After reading this I'm also feeling proud of you, lol :)

Sayesha said...

#Ipanema Gal,
Sakshi toh lazybum number vun! :/

#GuNs,
Yes, I am. Disappointed? Hehehehe! :D

#Melody,
Hehe... thanksss! :P