Sunday, June 17, 2007

You go, girl!

Once, when I was a kid, I took part in a fancy dress competition as Suraiya, singer/actress from the 40s. I had fixed tiny curls around my forehead, and a long one dangling in front of each ear. I behaved all coy like her, twisting the end of my dupatta around my fingers, and sang one of her songs in her typical nasal style that went something like "Gun gun gun gun bole re bhawarwa". Of course I sing a different gun song now (dhishkyaooon!) but those were the days. The judge couldn't stop laughing when she saw me (I took it as a compliment) and I got the first prize.

I was reminded of it when I bumped into this video on Youtube. I was looking for the Oprah show where Aishwarya ties a sari for Oprah when I found something more entertaining. This video shows the performance of the first female contestant on the Great Indian Laughter Challenge. (The show, by the way, is utter crap, and makes me want to hurl a shoe at Siddhu, but I don't do it because my monitor will shatter.) But this chick - Arti Kandpal - does a great job mimicking various actresses. I've seen many male comedians mimicking male actors from Dilip Kumar to Dev Anand to Govinda to Shah Rukh, but I'd never seen anything like this. Watch out for the part where she mimics Aishwarya. We all know Aish can't act, but I never thought you could mimic her acting. I almost fell off my seat laughing at the part where she goes, "Mar jaati... toh mar jaati!"






Video courtesy Titurawat



14 comments:

Neihal said...

hahahahahaha

That reminded me of my "ek chidiya anek chidiya" performance. Just that I lost. Apparently I went a bit too nasal :P

and yeah the show is unbearable. I dont know who laughs watching it..offcourse the paid audience (:P) and paid judjes do.. :P

But the girl is GOOD. :D

Neihal said...

OMG!!

GOLLLLLLD !!

see getting up early always helps ;)

qsg said...

Gold! Now will watch the video

qsg said...

Bleddy Neihal - how could you! I was almost there!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggg

Neihal said...

ahahahahahahahahaha

:P

Sudipta Chatterjee said...

Bronze!!

Long live RSS

Thisisme said...

hahhaha..i somehow like this show..cz i like raju shrivastava and sunil pal in it.n also ehsaan qureshi.. :)) ..they Do make me laff...but siddhuu!!!! i feel like really hurling anything at him..anything that can make him stop laffin like a maniac!!

Bivas said...

Lol...had downloaded and watched this particular episode last week when a friend recommended watching Arti's performance...must say it is by far one of the best one's I've seen...esp loved it when she imitated Hema Malini's..."Unnn...Nahiinnnn! " ;-)
the show was gud in the first season with Navin Prabhakar's Pehchan Kaun and Sunil Pal's Ratan Noora but has lost its charm after that...

creepa said...

ailaaa..kya masstt bandi hai re! :D
seriously aishwarya ki kya acting(??) mime ki haii!I loved manorma wali acting vaise :P!

harshad said...

LOL. i had seen tht episode on TV and was in hysterics too. she tocks alrite.
Nice blog btw.
Ur line for "Leave a comment" is great heh. 'bewdas got fultu talli '...ur blogrolled!

harshad said...

btw, thts 'rocks'.

Sayesha said...

#Neihal,
Hahahahahaha! Himmesh should do a remix of Ek chidiya! :D

#QSG,
Hahahahaha! And Neihal gets dubbal gold because she watched before she commented! :D

#Neihal,
Hehehe... you also go girl! :D

#Sudipta,
:P

#Thisisme,
Yeah Raju is pretty good in some episodes :)

#Bivas,
You have the Hema Malini wala episode?? Please please send it to me? Or upload on Youtube?? My mom also said it's damn good! :D

#Creepa,
Hahahaha! Yeah, she's awesome! :D Mar jaati... toh mar jaati! Hahahahahaha! :D

#Harshad,
Thanks! :)
ps: She rocks when she "tocks" too! ;)

Vijay said...

Hey i watched that episode and I loved the way she imitated Hema Malini. Lotsa talent in this one. About Siddhu paaji, he sometimes in your face but i actually enjoy his unabashedness.

Cheers
Vijay

Bivas said...

Coming Soon...keep an eye on ur mailbox :-)